Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Happy 2007 New Year in Nairobi

So many people... are conditioned to a life of security, conformity and conservatism, all of which appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have and endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Alex McCandless (Into the Wild)


Thanks, Emily (Scotchy) for this quote in Krakauer's book (soon to be Sean Penn directed movie, what?)

I'm slowly settling into my new life here in Nairobi, mainly trying to get all my supplies and thoughts together for the next few months as I truck through the remnants of my dissertation (I need to finish) and be trained by Edith and IDRC team in the Acadia division. Acadia is representing the "Communities and the Information Society in Africa Program Initiative". I'm still trying really under the extent of the information society here in Eastern Africa and hope that I can share more about it in the next few months.

In the meanwhile, I am biting the frugal bullet and sticking around the YWCA for $5 a night for this month until the first paycheque comes in...

No comments: