Friday, August 18, 2006

End of the Week

The month is flying by and I'm sure it is the same for those in the Northern hemisphere who are enjoying the great weather from the summer. I have been busy working on my research proposal which appears to be changing shape in all different ways as I receive feedback from my supervisor and reviewers. All I know is that I have a long weekend ahead working on this project as well as a literature review on the coursework I have been doing in my Poverty and Inequality class.

Poverty and Inequality class has been really functional in trying to understand what all the measurements mean on reports completed by the United Nations or others that try to compare countries. For example we learned about how to best estimate the Gini Coefficient this week with the Lorenz curve and some simple arithemetic of adding triangles and rectangles. Basically a 16 year old could do it. I just don't understand why economists need to make it seem so difficult and hard to figure out. Apparently there is a Journal for Economics Educators that try to demystify these economic equations for the normal person to understand.

Nothing to super exciting to report except that the surf is starting to shape up again at Garvies. I went for a run this morning and it is not looking as rough and windy as it has been for the last month. I can't wait to hit the water again with the new surfboard. This weekend, I'll also be checking out a Mexican restaurant called Taco Zulu on Florida Road. Go figure.

No comments: