Monday, June 05, 2006

Donkey on road to Lupatana


Donkey on our way to Lupatana
Originally uploaded by make_change.
Sorry for the very tardy entry for the last 2 weeks. I have been trying to adjust to my new mode of frequent transport, the Durban Transport public bus system. So far so good, but I'm needing to leave campus basically right after class so that I can catch the last bus home and before it gets dark. Needless to say, it really is no excuse since I could type my information at home before coming to school... I won't go there.

Going back two weeks ago, I made a trek to a place called Lupatana, an estuary around 15-20km from Lusikisiki, Transkei, South Africa. It is another one of those treks through muddy, unpave terrain that make you bounce up and down in the car with the rest of your provisions. Once we arrived along the coast, the Jeep crossed the estuary to a hiker's hut being hosted by one of the locals. Here she is with a photo on her baby attached to her back. Along the waterside you'll see the power of the ocean smash up against the rocky cliff edges and roll in the massive swell at full force. After a 1 1/2 hour hike, we reached Waterfall Bluff, an amazing 60M waterfall meeting with the ocean. Amazing. The hiker's huts were similar to Umtentu, actually identical to each other which makes me wonder whether the rest of these lodges along the coast were fitted by the same company. Excellent weekend.

No comments: