Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Power of Telenovelas

Well, first week is over and I am already falling behind on assigned readings and preparing for upcoming presentations. Talk about throwing you right into the lion's den. I'll have to get the balance right with beach and school time. Another really interesting student I met at the international student office - Annette. She comes from Uganda and she is doing her Masters in Communications and Mass Media. Previous to coming to S.A., she had worked for a public relations firm in the capital. Her studies will be in using media for public health messages. When I was living in Mozambique, I heard that this method of social marketing was very successful in Brazil with their telenovelas in advising the public about HIV/AIDS and other public health messages. I also heard that Brazil intergrates some powerful messages in the lyrics of some popular music.

No comments: