Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Better World.


I haven't read this book but I like the seven foundations of a better world that they suggest: Economic Fairness, Comprehensive Peace, Ecological Sustainability, Deep Democracy, Social Justice, Culture of Simplicity, and Revitalized Community.

They also mention a section on the traps that stop people from making a difference. Honestly, I sometimes feel the trap myself - doing my own thing with no second thought of how my everyday actions: buying from the local grocer, donating money / goods to a non-profit, calling a friend, investing in the right bank - sends a message to those around you. We can choose to set the pace or momentum to make small changes and hope that others around you are inspired to think about their daily lives too. Snowball effect.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." M K Gandhi

There is also a list of top 10 actions. I'm not so sure of the "eat less meat" section myself but I think I attempt to follow most of the other suggestions made.

No comments: